WELCOME

To all followers, I hope you will find something that will be of interest in the following pages of research.
I am still getting my head around ......
BLOGS, INTERACTIVE, SAFETY, WEBSITES, ICT'S, HTML, URL, DOWNLOADS, DATABASE, INTRANNET, HOME PAGE, HTTP, WWW, TECHNOLOGY, GRAPHICS, WEBQUEST, E-MAIL, YOUTUBE,CONCEPT MAPS, JPEG, LINK , and asking myself lots of questions about the importance placed on ICT's in schools today

About Me

My photo
I am not a kitten but a mature aged feline. I have at home a Tom cat who I love dearly and two wonderful little kittens who made me this beautiful little hat. Originally from overseas, hence the full head of hair, I have settled here in Australia (17years) and love everything about the lifestyle and people.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Virus

Woke up Saturday morning switched on the computer and what did I find but a very bad virus. This virus had attached itself to my Internet connection and would not allow me to open any files. It would just scream at me and say that I required to buy this new virus protection programme.
Lucky I was smart enough not to put in that visa card number, where that would be the end of my funds....

This for me was the first virus I had gotten and did not really understand where it came from. My virus software is now updated and I feel very secure now.
I was speaking to Stacey  Caldwell (fellow student) about this and she was telling me about the free software available on the CQU site. http://cqu-av.cqu.edu.au/. I did not realise this service was available and will now download this software as I feel that this will give me added protection.
Computer protection and identity protection safety is a very important factor when using computers in schools and at home. Students need to understand the importance of not downloading sites which are not approved by their anti virus programme and the importance of credit protection (not putting in visa card numbers). This would be really important for students in the high schools to understand - fraud.

So much to learn but yet it can all be gone in a second.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I to, got this same virus just a few weeks ago on my home computer and even though I had virus protection, it still found a way to get into my computer. I agree it is important to inform students about fraud and be aware of what websites they go into. Now I am more conscious of what update and download on my computer as you said before.... it can be all gone in a second. I didn’t even realise that the uni had a virus protection available for students to download for their computers. Thanks for sharing this I will download this to give me added protection and will let other students know that this service is available to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With this in mind, perhaps it isn't such a bad thing that the QSA blocks a lot of internet content from school computers.

    I also agree about the importance of teaching students to be cautious about their internet searches as seemingly innocent websites can carry nasty bugs. Even during this course I have been cautious about the software I download to my computer. Several of the websites I have looked at have pop-ups. Whenever this happens I immediately leave the site and never return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, this is important. With increasingly sophisticated internet-based attacks on unsecured computers are leaving people vulnerable to online fraud, identity theft and loss of privacy. No anti-virus is full proof so we need to educate students with the skills needed to identify those nasty intruders and understand that there are serious security issues associated with the online world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also got the exact same virus a week ago. It was quite scary when I couldn't open any programs without an error message appearing. I am still unaware what I did to get this virus, however, it has alerted me and I now have better virus protection. Every time you get a virus it is a serious hit to the hip pocket with it costing $120 (well for me it did!) for a trip to the computer shop. As Bernice pointed out, she is lucky that she didn't put in her all important credit card details which is often what the scammers want, wiping all your funds. I agree with Kyle and Stacey when they say that it is important to educate students about identifying unsafe websites, not entering personal information such as credit card numbers, downloading suspicious software and opening dangerous looking emails and files. It is important to make students aware that not everyone in the world has good intentions and there are some people in society that are looking to prey on the vulnerable. Education is key! :)

    ReplyDelete